I’ve actually had some time to work on MV3D lately, which I’ve been happy about. I did make a short video of the in game editor. It’s nothing wonderful (though I really like the music I came up with for it).
One of the things I did over the long weekend was to start making the client behave a little more like a client and less like a dumb terminal for the server. Previously, when you connected to a server, it would just shove all of the objects in your view range at you. Now, the client gets to pick. This has the added bonus that the client loads the images from closest to farthest. It can also limit the view range to less than the maximum to save bandwidth or cpu. The client is still limited to getting items which are in its view range by the server of course.
The other big thing I did– I’m still amazed I got this working– was to completely remove the need for the huge Media directory for the client. It’s about 65MB. I had to keep a few things. Just the GUI related files and the background image. Everything else is downloaded through the resource system in game like it is supposed to be. This should reduce the initial download size for the client by a lot.
That brings me to the next thing I’m working on, which is getting a Windows installer for the Client to work. I’m trying nullsoft to see how that goes. It seems pretty simple. I’d like to make some sort of script to put together the release using py2exe and such. Currently, there’s a bunch of manual work involved after the py2exe step.
Currently, there are 18 tickets left in the release. Hopefully I can get those finished up this month and get a new release out. That’ll depend on if I can keep feature creep out of there. I really want to make a simple “Add item from template” type deal in the editor since right now adding an item is rather useless.